So today I added the ability to harvest asteroids with a “laser beam” or something like that. It makes the asteroid shrink and then finally disappear (don’t worry, this is not how it will actually look later. Just playing around atm).
When lasering the asteroids it fills up the “harvested” variable to a maximum of 100. This is shown in the “system-window” on the HUD, without explaining text. The last row on the system-window is numbers of asteroids left in the game.
From here I think it’s time to implement the different modes and the ability to change between them, add a status-text showing which mode you have and something that says like rerouting energy: 77% done when switching between those.
After spending quite some time with cleaning up the code and making it more object oriented I added the asteroids. They fly around randomly across the space now. After that I changed the look of the HUD a little bit, since the last one looked like shit, this looks more like I have in mind. But we will fix that later. Now the HUD also shows the distance to the closest asteroid and the canon follows it’s movement. This is shown in the video below (first video footage, yaay). The quality is shitty and lagging because of the capturing software. I will have to get another one, but this one is free and will have to do for now.
Next step will be the collision detection, and then it’s probably time to give the game a start menu and some options.