Haven’t been working as much last couple of days, just some small changes to the modes and HUD. Now you can only harvest asteroids in “harvest-mode”. The different modes also have different max-speeds now. When switching between modes the player gets put in a “mode-changing-mode” where speed is slow and you cant really do anything else than drive. This is active in 5 seconds and then the switch is made. The progress is updated on the “System Screen” on the HUD:
Active mode: Harvest mode.
So, since my last update I’ve been working on implementing a Game-state manager. It’s pretty much a clone of the XNA-example from MSDN. I didn’t copy+paste it, but rewrote it while looking at the code. I feel like I understand 90% of how it worked and I figure that after next time, or maybe the one after I will understand it completely and write my own instead.
A screenshot at the incredibly ugly main menu with 2 options, play or play.
Since I just got started I don’t have that much progress to tell about yet, what I have done is a ship that moves through empty space with a camera class that follows the ship. I am terrible at drawing stuff so i just drew these sprites real quick to have something. Will try to get into some pixel-art later on and make them at least a little bit prettier.
The HUD is just an image, but might give an idea about what I’m going for. To the left: the radar and coordinates(which is the only thing that works, in the middle: some indicator of what mode is chosen, to the right: some kind of screen that is supposed to give distance to closest asteroid, enemy or something (I’m not sure what to do with this one yet).
If anyone is wondering the game is being programmed in C# using Microsoft’s XNA framework (Visual studio 2010 express). I have previously only been using java and moved over to C# for this project. So far it’s been a real smooth transition and I enjoy working in C#. The sprites so far are being drawn in GIMP and Inkscape, haven’t really decided which one I like the most of these.
Next step is making asteroids spawn randomly across space and fly around the map, after that I will add collision and make so that the canon aims at any asteroid that flies by the ship (at the moment it’s just pointing right).