Today I added a “base”, what will later turn into the mothership. It is basically a circle that you can fly over and drop of your resources. This updates the HUD with total amount of resources, later on this will show total amount gathered by the team.
I have decided that the Single-player part of the game will be either just a tutorial, or playing with and against AI’s. A campaign of some sort would just feel forced since the whole game is built around the multi-player-part.
I feel that to be able to make this into the game I want it to be, I will need more experience. So I have decided to pick up at least one other project which I will tell more about later on. This one is a collaboration with another game- and art-designer This means I can focus on just the programming part, which is what I need. This will probably mean that the development of this game will be even slower, but I will try to at least make small steps forward with this project while I work on the other one.
He will also help out with the art for this game, so that’s great news!
Haven’t been working as much last couple of days, just some small changes to the modes and HUD. Now you can only harvest asteroids in “harvest-mode”. The different modes also have different max-speeds now. When switching between modes the player gets put in a “mode-changing-mode” where speed is slow and you cant really do anything else than drive. This is active in 5 seconds and then the switch is made. The progress is updated on the “System Screen” on the HUD:
Active mode: Harvest mode.
Quick update today. Made the ability to switch between modes. Only thing that differs between them is the color of the laserbeam. Will work more on this tomorrow and perhaps add the first piece of music to the game.
So today I added the ability to harvest asteroids with a “laser beam” or something like that. It makes the asteroid shrink and then finally disappear (don’t worry, this is not how it will actually look later. Just playing around atm).
When lasering the asteroids it fills up the “harvested” variable to a maximum of 100. This is shown in the “system-window” on the HUD, without explaining text. The last row on the system-window is numbers of asteroids left in the game.
From here I think it’s time to implement the different modes and the ability to change between them, add a status-text showing which mode you have and something that says like rerouting energy: 77% done when switching between those.
So, since my last update I’ve been working on implementing a Game-state manager. It’s pretty much a clone of the XNA-example from MSDN. I didn’t copy+paste it, but rewrote it while looking at the code. I feel like I understand 90% of how it worked and I figure that after next time, or maybe the one after I will understand it completely and write my own instead.
A screenshot at the incredibly ugly main menu with 2 options, play or play.
Collision between player – asteroid, and asteroid – asteroid is now implemented. This was done by creating a bounding circle around the sprites and check if the distance between the circles was smaller then the combined radiuses(is that what it’s called? if not: radius1+radius2). Only thing that happens now is that they stop being drawn. Will work on what happens another time.
Next up: Game menu. This will probably take a little longer to implement, because I have to check out how to handle different game-states, but hopefully before the end of the week (also have to draw the menus and stuff.
Edit: I also made the camera move more in the direction you’re facing, to make it easier to avoid asteroids that lay ahead. Thank’s DrunkDevs, at TigSource for that idea.
After spending quite some time with cleaning up the code and making it more object oriented I added the asteroids. They fly around randomly across the space now. After that I changed the look of the HUD a little bit, since the last one looked like shit, this looks more like I have in mind. But we will fix that later. Now the HUD also shows the distance to the closest asteroid and the canon follows it’s movement. This is shown in the video below (first video footage, yaay). The quality is shitty and lagging because of the capturing software. I will have to get another one, but this one is free and will have to do for now.
Next step will be the collision detection, and then it’s probably time to give the game a start menu and some options.